Thursday 23 July 2020

Day 1 DFI - Core Business


Today was our first day of the Manaiakalani Digital Fluency Intensive. We are doing this online using Google Meet over the next 9 weeks.

Today we learned about the origins of the Manaiakalani story and how the use of technology in Manaiakalani schools has benefited our children. I enjoyed learning new the tips and tricks that help us to be more efficient on Google Suites for example keyboard shortcuts, how to pin a tab and how to use Google Groups. These tricks are going to improve my workflow a lot. We were also reminded to organise our Google Drive - which is what I need to do!

Today we spent a lot of time learning how to use Google Docs more efficiently. As I am teaching with iPads this year, I found it a bit tricky at first to think of how to apply what we learnt to my own teaching (I mostly use Explain Everything on the iPads as it is easier for the year 3's to navigate). However I thought that the 'Eyes On Text' activity was a great idea and I am going to adapt it a bit so that it can be used on Explain Everything. This will be an awesome independent reading task to increase mileage and I'm looking forward to starting this with my class. 

We also learnt how to create an infographic using Google Docs. I usually use Google Slides or Canva to create posters as I don't find Google Docs as appealing on the eye when doing this but we learnt some great tips that made them look better than I expected. I especially enjoyed learning how to use remove.bg to remove the background from an image because I've tried other websites and photoshop to do this before but remove.bg was so easy to use. Our facilitators recommended that we create an infographic that we can use in class. My students have been learning a new morning routine and this visual is going to help them a lot. I will stick it to the front door for when they arrive at class in the morning.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharisse
    It is lovely having you with us in the DFI this term- even though we can't be in the same room!
    I do get it is tricky when we are so focused on the Google tools and you are 1:1 iPads. Please speak up or contact me if you feel you are being left out! However, it is good that you ARE learning some of the Google tricks as you may end up in a Chromebook class in the future.
    Your infographic is great. I use keynote for quick graphics to be honest and photoshop if I am going to take time, but it is essential to know how to make my communications in Docs visually appealing and knowing the tips and tricks speeds up the process.

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Sharisse,
    Well done on a wonderful start to the Digital Fluency Intensive online. I'm pleased to hear you found some practical applications that are useful to you as I agree with Dorothy, it will be wonderful to provide you with as much information as possible that can also support your iPad use in the classroom. I can identify completely with your Drive organisation comment however... there is always organising to do, isn't there? Did you find a convention that would work for you in what we discussed today?

    I really enjoyed seeing the poster you have created for your learners around their morning routine. It's very practical! Thank you for your wonderful approach in our small digital bubble Sharisse, I have enjoyed getting to know you and can see that your positive approach will mean you gain a lot from the next 8 weeks of DFI. Well done for a great start. See you next week!
    Amie Williams

    ReplyDelete