Thursday 6 August 2020

DFI Day 3 - Media

If you can't travel, why not create a scene and imagine you're there!

Today our focus for the Digital Fluency Intensive was Media. 

When Dorothy was speaking about the 'Create' part of the 'Learn, Create, Share' pedagogy, I was reminded of how important it is to get creative with my planning and provide students with the opportunity to either create with physical materials or with digital technology. In my year 3 and 4 class, my students all use iPads and I want to get better at making use of this technology to make learning more fun.

Today I learnt how to create a 'scene' (seen above) using Google Slides and Remove.bg. I already have experience using Google Slides, however found it useful learning extra tricks and enjoyed practicing how to arrange images on the slide. I am really enjoying learning how to use Remove.bg. I would have never thought of creating an animation on Slides using an image of myself because the thought of getting rid of a background seemed too difficult, but Remove.bg is super easy! 

This term, Pt England School is learning all about the world - my class is specifically learning about famous landmarks. Since my year 3/4 class is using iPads, I am going to work out how to do the above activity on Slides on iPads or adapt it to be done on Explain Everything. Either way, I'm excited for my class to use Remove.bg and create a scene of themselves at landmark that we learn about this week!

Today we also learnt about how to use a YouTube account and how to use Google Drawings. I have had experience using Google Drawings, however it is useful learning more tricks on it so that I can become more confident to create good buttons for my class site. It was also great learning that I can use Remove.bg paired with the shaped cropping tool to create a profile picture on Drawings. 

I will share a students blogpost of their own 'scene' once completed - fingers crossed it is successful!


5 comments:

  1. Way to go Sharisse! Love the animation and that you used yourself in it. I'm sure your students will think it is great and will enjoy having a go themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah! I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharisse- awesome create effort today! Well done.
    Don't forget you have Keynote on your iPads and can remove the background with a click on Instant Alpha. You also have iMovie that will remove green/blue screen backgrounds. Book the year 7/8 green room to give it a go. Make life real easy and book some seniors to help while you are there :) Sandy did some cool examples of this when she taught in the junior school, so you could ask her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy!
      Ahh that's a good point, I didn't think of that. I'll give Keynote and iMovie a go for this concept - and the help from seniors is a lovely idea - I'm sure that would be a lot of fun!

      Delete
  3. Kia ora Sharisse,
    What a creative slide! You probably got a better image than many people would when actually visiting the Eiffel Tower - there's usually crowds of tourists aren't there? I enjoy reading the ways you're investigating exploring similar tasks with your learners. How lucky you are at your school that you have access to a Green Screen room too! I also agree with Deborah in that your learners will love your slide too. Did you share it with them?
    See you on Friday,
    Amie

    ReplyDelete